Any Halloween party worth its salt needs to have music. Good music. Whether it be dance tunes, scary background atmosphere or just fun spooky sounds, you’ve got to have a soundtrack. This post will be the first in a series on popular Halloweenistic tunage. I only chose 12 because there are a ton of songs out there and the list could go on quite a while. I would love to hear about YOUR favorites. (You can click on the titles and hear a clip of each song.)
In no particular order:
- “Dead Man’s Party” – Oingo Boingo. How can you NOT love this tune? It’s appropriate and oh so, catchy! One of my year round favorites.
- “Thriller” – Michael Jackson. This song has to be on every list EVER invented for Halloween. The video is also required Halloween viewing.
- “Living Dead Girl” – Rob Zombie. The title says it all. Of course once you hear it, the sound will say it all. His “Dragula” is a fun one too.
- “Werewolf of London” – Warren Zevon. Zippy song that tells a story and stays in your head.
- “Witchy Woman” – The Eagles. Moody, slower paced song that adds a little sway to the dance.
- “Psycho Killer” – The Talking Heads. Fun, funky sort of bouncy song that tells you to “run, run run away!”.
- “Bad Moon Rising” – CCR. Smooth, ballad-y type song pays homage to that great orb in the night sky.
- “Highway to Hell” – AC/DC. Australian rockers AC/DC are a must have on this list. Their “Back in Black” track could fit here as well.
- “Ghostbusters” – Ray Parker, Jr. “I ain’t afraid of no ghosts!” This movie theme became an instant classic appealing to all ages.
- “Monster Mash” – Bobby (Boris) Pickett. The original Halloween party sound. Oldie, but oh-s0-goodie!
- “Time Warp” – The Original Cast of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. This trampy, high energy tune just adds to the fun.
- “Purple People Eater” – Sheb Wooley. FUN. FUN. FUN. That is all.
Leave us a comment and tell us some of your favorites!